Ten physics band namesPosted: June 11, 2012
Only a few physicists have ever achieved true rock star status, but that doesn’t stop the rest of them from joining bands. Physics labs around the world play host to numerous official and unofficial rock bands, from CDF’s Drug Sniffing Drugs (last seen crying into their beers at the afterparty for the Tevatron shutdown) to Les Horribles Cernettes across the Atlantic. Below, ten suggestions for band names inspired by the history of my favorite science. Suggested styles, if any, in parentheses.
1. The Ultraviolet Catastrophe
2. The Strangelets (60s-style girl group)
3. Enrico Fermi and the Chicago Piles
4. Los Alamos Ranch School (songs to wear sweaters to)
5. Charm and Strange (acoustic duo, lots of whistling)
6. Spectral Lines (electronica)
7. I Am Become Death (metal)
8. SUSY and the Banshees (80s cover band)
9. Cosmic Ray (lounge singer)
10. Higgsino and the WIMPs
Leave your suggestions for hit singles in the comments. For more on the music physicists make, check out this article in symmetry.